Merillat Marketing & Merillat Designer Kristin Stanton
on Jun 20th 2017
- Never sacrifice walkway clearance to accommodate a
bigger island; 36” is the minimum for clearance. Being able to move freely
through your kitchen is much more beneficial than have a larger island.
- Check appliance specs and clearances. Make sure your refrigerator
doors will not hit walls when opening, or provide obstruction to cabinets and
- Centering the sink on the window gives a nice balanced
appearance, and makes for a pleasant view while working at the sink.
- Whenever possible, install the dishwasher directly next to
the sink. This is most efficient, not only for cleaning up, but also for
hooking up water lines.
- Use a hood
that vents to the outside of the house if possible. This allows for quick
removal of smoke and smells.
- Use a cabinet front as a side panel, to create the look of a
cabinet. This will disguise the angle, and create extra storage.
- Corners can sometimes be hard to access in a kitchen. Make
sure to use accessories where they’ll be beneficial; like a blind corner
pull-out cabinet, or a lazy Susan, if space allows.